9 Posts | 2,253 Views | 6 Followers

Comments for 右

[みぎ()]
migi
noun, no adjective

English Meanings:

noun, no adjective
  1. right; right-hand side
  2. afore-mentioned (esp. in vertical Japanese writing); foregoing; forgoing; above
Number of Posts
Is the stroke order of migi correct? My kanji book has a different stroke order. The same as hidari, please can someone verofy the correctness please?
#1 Posted by Adachi over 8 years ago
Number of Posts

The stroke order above is correct. I don't know which book you use, but it is also the same in Genki.

Any body looking to meet up around metro-detroit, MI and discuss Japanese I'd love to meet!

#2 Posted by adam wolf over 8 years ago
Number of Posts

Yep, the stroke order here is correct.

One way to remember which stroke is first for 右 compared to 左 is that strokes for both of these always alternate between horizontal and vertical.

So 左 is horizontal-vertical-horizontal-vertical-horizontal

and 右 is vertical-horizontal-vertical-horizontal+vertical-horizontal

#3 Posted by flint over 8 years ago
Number of Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for migi I believe it is horizontal-vertical-vertical-horizontal&verticle-horizontal

Any body looking to meet up around metro-detroit, MI and discuss Japanese I'd love to meet!

#4 Posted by adam wolf over 8 years ago
Number of Posts

I double checked it in genki, I appologize, I was wrong

#5 Posted by adam wolf over 8 years ago
Number of Posts
Thank you very much. Well Eriko Sato gives different stroke order.
#6 Posted by Adachi over 8 years ago
Number of Posts

Why does stroke order matter, though?

#7 Posted by Monox D. I-Fly over 6 years ago
Number of Posts

This is an interesting one. The correct order in Chinese starts with horizontal - vertical, just like hidari. And I'm pretty sure I remember the official order being changed in Japan ten or more years ago (correct me if I'm getting confused with some other kanji). 

When inconsistencies like this don't have any obvious historical or other justification, I stick with what I learned for Chinese or what I learned when beginning Japanese. 

#8 Posted by rickdude over 6 years ago
Number of Posts

The stroke order is just to make the drawing/writing easier, you don't necessarily have to follow it, though at the very least you should start from top to bottom and left to right. Starting bottom right with the strokes would be weird and the kanji would most definitely look bad too.

Individualism is overrated.

#9 Posted by Yog-Sothoth over 5 years ago

Only registered users may post in the forum. You can register your free 楽しい Japanese account here.