Stroke Count
4 Strokes
English Meaning
  1. day, sun, Japan, counter for days
Readings
Kun'yomi: -か、-び、ひ。
On'yomi: ジツ、ニチ。
Number of Posts

Um.. This may be a dumb question, but how would you know which one to use? Like, How would you know when to use Kun yomi or On yomi? 

My sensei told me onyomi comes from the character 音 (おと) which means sound. As far as I know onyomi is what she calls the "chinese reading" in other words it is the sound it makes when combined with another character, like in 音楽 (おんがく)alone they are pronounced using thier kunyomi 音(おと)and 楽 (らく) but together it gets pronounced using the onyomi, おんがく.
  I don't know why she calls it the "Chinese reading," something about honoring the kanji or something. Whenever anyone asks her anything about kanji, she always says "I don't know, ask the chinese they made it not me!" It's pretty funny. 

#21 Posted by kekkev over 8 years ago
Number of Posts

well mon (gate) is onyomi reading but you still use it isolation i believe.

#22 Posted by Adachi over 8 years ago
Number of Posts

wow the comments are really helpful! :)

#23 Posted by jeweluno over 7 years ago
Number of Posts
I'm a complete beginner to leaning Japanese. Can anyone tell me if the stroke order begin with the red dot or end with it?
Yehan
#24 Posted by yehan over 7 years ago
Number of Posts

the stroke order begins with the red dot ^-^

#25 Posted by grimxr over 7 years ago
Number of Posts

I am assuming that this is for the first character for Sunday?

Michael Javier

#26 Posted by Mdjj1996 over 6 years ago
Number of Posts

what do kunyomi and konyomi mean?

#27 Posted by ma4ko over 6 years ago
Number of Posts

Kunyomi are the readings that come from Japan, and Onyomi are readings that come from China. That's why the Kunyomi readings are written in hiragana and the Onyomi readings are written in katakana. Typicially a character uses the Onyomi reading when there are two kanji charcters beside each other like in the word for Japan "日本" (nihon). Hope this helps! 

#28 Posted by ak.smith over 6 years ago
Number of Posts

In what situations should I use certain readings in Onyomi and Kunyomi? I mean, in both KUnyomi and Onyomi there are few different readings. When use which? Any examples?

aga-chan

#29 Posted by neko_ over 5 years ago
Number of Posts

neko_ wrote yesterday at 8:31 AM

In what situations should I use certain readings in Onyomi and Kunyomi? I mean, in both KUnyomi and Onyomi there are few different readings. When use which? Any examples?

I think thats a vocabulary recognition thing. Once you get use to seeing strings of kanji together, you'll get use to how to say it based off experience with the kanji. Like in english when you see a word like, champion, instead of saying cham-pi-shun, your mind (with practice) will read it naturally as cham-pee-yon.

yes

#30 Posted by Terzorian over 5 years ago

Only registered users may post in the forum. You can register your free 楽しい Japanese account here.