Sign In

Recent Posts

Currently Online

Question About Alternative Written Forms

Forum Index » 一緒に勉強しましょう! [Let's study together!] »
2 Posts | 597 Views | 2 Followers

Question About Alternative Written Forms

Number of Posts

When I look up a word and one way to write it comes up in large text with multiple alternatives below in smaller text, is the large one the most common way to write it? And how do you know when one of the alternatives is more or less appropriate?

Some have completely different kanji with the same usage and pronunciation. Some are kanji and kana mixed. For example 踏切 can also be written as 踏み​切り which is how it's written in a book I'm trying to read and use to study. Is there a reason you would write it with the kana mixed in instead of just the kanji? Is it just personal preference or for aesthetics (the book is a poetry book)? Is there a right or wrong way to write it if you use any of the alternative written forms?

Mildly overwhelmed by all the possibilities. It's fine while I'm reading but if I wanted to write something I'm concerned I'll just be picking all the wrong ways to write it. =/

Thanks for any input!

夢に映る 夢を閉じる

#1 Posted by Mikuchu over 5 years ago
Number of Posts

There are like 6000 kanji. Even native japanese people often don't know all of them. Maybe that's the reason. Personally if I don't know a kanji I need to read it in Hiragana to know the sound. Just my five cents

#2 Posted by onestep over 5 years ago

Only registered users may post in the forum. You can register your free 楽しい Japanese account here.