Sign In

Recent Posts

Currently Online

Kanji game suggestion

Forum Index » サイトの質問 [Question about the site] »
7 Posts | 1,438 Views | 2 Followers

Kanji game suggestion

Number of Posts

I think it would be nice to allow people to decide if the answers should be typed or multiple choice in more of the games.

Personally i don't like multiple choice kanji recogniton or the word recognition because with it being multiple choice i could figure out the answer by only knowing little about what the answer could be.

i think if i am able to type it i will have an easier time remembering the words

#1 Posted by Dave over 5 years ago
Number of Posts

Is that option not provided in the "Kanji reading" game?

Or do you mean something else?

#2 Posted by Lord Aide over 5 years ago
Number of Posts

I was thinking about that as well, as there already is games where you can type the Japanese word based on either the Kanji reading, or the English meaning.  Though both of these use Romaji input.

What I was thinking might be a good addition though is being able to type the word in Japanese using a Japanese keyboard.  This would also open up the possibility of using voice input as well, though I need to test this a bit further to see how this would work.

#3 Posted by flint over 5 years ago
Number of Posts

Lord Aide wrote on Sunday

Is that option not provided in the "Kanji reading" game?

Or do you mean something else?

The kanji reading game is the game i like to use most because it is typed and helps me read kanji problem is i have a problem actually remembering what the kanji mean

Its very possible that all i will remember is how to read it outloud knowing what the kanji would be in hiragana but not know what they mean in english.

#4 Posted by Dave over 5 years ago
Number of Posts

Hi Dave,

I understand your problem.
Though, When I play "kanji reading", and I have given the correct answer, the English meaning appears on the screen. So you can practice reading in Japanese and meaning in English. When I play that game, for example, I first look at the kanji, then think of the meaning in English, then type the reading in Japanese. When the answer was correct, I check the meaning that I was thinking of, with the meaning that appears on the screen. In that way, with one game, you can tackle these different skills.
Does that work for you?

Or you can use the game "Kanji recognition", where you can practice to couple the english meaning to a specific kanji. But then you can't practice the readings of the Kanji.

#5 Posted by Lord Aide over 5 years ago
Number of Posts

Lord Aide wrote on Friday

Hi Dave,

I understand your problem.
Though, When I play "kanji reading", and I have given the correct answer, the English meaning appears on the screen. So you can practice reading in Japanese and meaning in English. When I play that game, for example, I first look at the kanji, then think of the meaning in English, then type the reading in Japanese. When the answer was correct, I check the meaning that I was thinking of, with the meaning that appears on the screen. In that way, with one game, you can tackle these different skills.
Does that work for you?

Or you can use the game "Kanji recognition", where you can practice to couple the english meaning to a specific kanji. But then you can't practice the readings of the Kanji.

I have recently been using that method and it seems to work better than just typing out the kanji so yes it does help.

And if it is a problem to make typing the kanji both in english and japanese 2 seperate games (If i understand what you are saying), then why not make it so that they can type out the japanese pronounciation and then type its english meaning with a answer bar below or above the previous one?

#6 Posted by Dave over 5 years ago
Number of Posts

Another option you can try, is to use use the multi-game option, and then select the Kanji Readings and the Matching English Meaning games. 

Each time you finish a game, just click on the "Next Game" button and it will automatically select which game to play next.  The questions that are selected will generally match across both the games that are selected.  This way you can practice both the readings and the English meanings at the same time.

#7 Posted by flint over 5 years ago

Only registered users may post in the forum. You can register your free 楽しい Japanese account here.