Stroke Count
6 Strokes
English Meaning
  1. ground, earth
Readings
Kun'yomi: つ↗ち↘。
On'yomi: ジ↗、チ↘、ジ、チ。
Number of Posts

I don't understand the meaning of the arrows next to the different readings of this Kanji, can someone explain please ?

Readings
Kun'yomi: つ↗ち↘。
On'yomi: ジ↗。(Go-on Reading)
チ↘。(Kan-on Reading)
ジ、チ。

La Chancla y El Bagnador

#1 Posted by Broula over 4 years ago
Number of Posts

I am not completely sure, but I think they might be directions for your voice, or the flow of the words?
For example, when you ask a question your voice goes up, a ↗ arrow might translate to that upwards movment of voice.

This is all an educated guess, if you find out what they mean I would also like to know!

Gabby Schwalm

#2 Posted by Mlawhcs over 4 years ago
Number of Posts

Mlawhcs wrote on Thursday at 6:24 AM

I am not completely sure, but I think they might be directions for your voice, or the flow of the words?
For example, when you ask a question your voice goes up, a ↗ arrow might translate to that upwards movment of voice.

This is all an educated guess, if you find out what they mean I would also like to know!

Yes I agree to this. It is called the intonation.

heart

#3 Posted by Stella over 4 years ago
Number of Posts

Apparently it's intonation, from what I read it's something that changes from one region to another depending on the accent and dialect used. It's not taught in school but Japanese learn it from day to day conversation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZpRfB97ZR8

La Chancla y El Bagnador

#4 Posted by Broula over 4 years ago

Only registered users may post in the forum. You can register your free 楽しい Japanese account here.