Sign In

Recent Posts

Currently Online

Why 永遠 sometimes is written as えいえん and とわ?

Forum Index » 一緒に勉強しましょう! [Let's study together!] »
3 Posts | 525 Views | 2 Followers

Why 永遠 sometimes is written as えいえん and とわ?

Number of Posts

I have recently listened to a music which has this part :

色々見てきたけれどこの瞳は永遠に きらり
永遠に きらり

The main thing is that I have always heard that this kanji  永遠 it's written as えいえん, however in this song he sings とわ in the   永遠 kanji.

Please you guys gods of japanese language, can anyone help me with this question?

Thanks in advance!

#1 Posted by Vinícius Aguiar (心) over 2 years ago
Number of Posts

Both えいえん and とわ are correct readings for 永遠.  えいえん is common in everyday usage, while とわ is used in more poetic or classical settings.

Also of note is that とわ acts as a special reading for both kanji 永遠, similar to how あした is for 明日.  ie, you can't read 永 as と, or 遠 as わ, but when they are put together 永遠 you can get the reading とわ.  The reason for this is that when Kanji was first introduced to Japan from China they would have matched the Japanese word とわ to the meaning of the Chinese Kanji 永遠.

#2 Posted by flint over 2 years ago
Number of Posts

flint wrote today at 8:31 PM

Both えいえん and とわ are correct readings for 永遠.  えいえん is common in everyday usage, while とわ is used in more poetic or classical settings.

Also of note is that とわ acts as a special reading for both kanji 永遠, similar to how あした is for 明日.  ie, you can't read 永 as と, or 遠 as わ, but when they are put together 永遠 you can get the reading とわ.  The reason for this is that when Kanji was first introduced to Japan from China they would have matched the Japanese word とわ to the meaning of the Chinese Kanji 永遠.

Nice explanation! thanks flint 

#3 Posted by Vinícius Aguiar (心) over 2 years ago

Only registered users may post in the forum. You can register your free 楽しい Japanese account here.