Sign In

Recent Posts

Currently Online

Comments for "た ち つ て と"

Forum Index » 一緒に勉強しましょう! [Let's study together!] »
4 Posts | 580 Views | 3 Followers

Comments for "た ち つ て と"

The next set of hiragana we will learn consists of the following ta chi tsu te to.

Number of Posts

i'm pretty sure that   is meant to be ji, and  is supposed to be zu.

Zari

#1 Posted by Zari over 2 years ago
Number of Posts

Im also pretty sure that it means JI and Zu I always get wrong answers for that in the flashcards even tho It says in Kinda every textbook and Website its Ji and Zu

#2 Posted by Koge Katsu about 4 months ago
Number of Posts

Really? I thought it meant di and du, all the sorces I have looked through it said that, every textbook, I went through it said di and du, I might have to look deeper into this, it could be an "another dialect" situation

#3 Posted by Akarachan about 4 months ago
Number of Posts

In textbooks or other websites, you may see either ji or di for ぢ, and either zu, du or even dzu for づ.

There are two other Hiragana which have virtually the same sound, じ (ji) and ず (zu).

Historically ぢ / じ, and づ / ず, had distinct sounds, but in modern Japanese the sounds for these pairs of Hiragana are now indistinguishable in most Japanese dialects (though there still are some exceptions) and they now both sound closest to the English pronunciations of ji and zu.

In fact many words which were originally written with ぢ and づ Hiragana, have been replaced with the じ and ず Hiragana in modern Japanese. The results is that both ぢ and づ are characters that only exist now in a small sets of words.

The reason why we've chosen to use di and du on this website is to distinguish the characters from じ and ず, and because when you type Hiragana on a keyboard, the roman letters du converts to づ, and di converts to ぢ. The practice games work this way as well, so that when you progress to typing in Japanese, you don't need to change how you think.

So its generally useful to remember the romaji that way. In saying that, when you are reading or speaking Japanese words, it is important that you don't think of the romaji at all, and think just on the Japanese pronunciation of the word. This is especially important for other sets for Hiragana like 「ら、り、る、れ、ろ」where the Japanese pronunciation for the (r) sound is slightly different from the English pronunciation.

If you would like to hear the sounds of the characters, the following words are useful:

(つづ)()「つづく」

(ちか)(ぢか)「ちかぢか」

(しず)()「しずか」

(しん)()()

There is a link to stackexchange as well which has some interesting further reading.

#4 Posted by flint about 4 months ago

Only registered users may post in the forum. You can register your free 楽しい Japanese account here.