Sign In

Recent Posts

Currently Online

Why are there so many compound verbs? How do you even learn them? なぜそんなに多くの複合動詞もあるかよ。一体どうやって学び知るだろう。

Forum Index » 一緒に勉強しましょう! [Let's study together!] »
4 Posts | 789 Views | 7 Followers

Why are there so many compound verbs? How do you even learn them? なぜそんなに多くの複合動詞もあるかよ。一体どうやって学び知るだろう。

Number of Posts

I know most compound verbs mean what they sound like. But there are so many weird ones, for example:

立ち回る - move about; make efforts to win people's support

立ち回りをする - scuffle, dogfight

駆け引き - haggle, bargain

割り切る - give a clear explanation

練り歩く - parade, marching

打ち解ける - open up with someone, become friendly

落ち合う - meet up, rendezvous

立ち会う - be witness to

出し抜く - outwit, outsmart

消し飛ばす - explode something and blast it away

吹っかける - provoke someone; overcharge exorbitantly

つぎ込む - sink money into investments

取り立てる - collect (money etc.)

請け合い - guarantee

取り越す - anticipate

呼び捨て - say people's names straight without honorifics (it's very impolite)

Even the obvious ones, there are seemingly infinite combinations... I'd like to someday be able to apply them myself. If anyone else has more, please add to the list :3

Word lists《四字熟語慣用語擬音擬態語複合動詞》in progress.

#1 Posted by popp over 2 years ago
Number of Posts

I know! It makes me believe that Japanese is impossible. This is just a theory, but it seems I'm doomed to live there. I just came across 割り切る - give a clear explanation...but not that one exactly, but one that uses the "Seven" and the "Blade" in the same manner. I've forgotten and I would have never guessed its meaning. Can a language really be impossible??? Yes, and the "easy" ones are usually NOT guessable. Or you have to see the combo with the right perspective. Rechere!

P. Rechere devil

#2 Posted by rechere over 2 years ago
Number of Posts

Opps. I forgot to mention that I did really well on a practice exam that had combinations and you only knew the pronunciation. I didn't know the English Meaning, but I knew the Japanese pronunciations!!! I am sort of flabbergasted. Nonplused, as they say. I would have never expected it, not the way I study. It's very - or was very - meaning oriented. I've sort of changed my tune on the pronunciations even though I have plans for reading Japanese.I guess I'm sort of a contrarian.

P. Rechere devil

#3 Posted by rechere over 2 years ago
Number of Posts

rechere wrote about 4 months ago

I know! It makes me believe that Japanese is impossible. This is just a theory, but it seems I'm doomed to live there. I just came across 割り切る - give a clear explanation...but not that one exactly, but one that uses the "Seven" and the "Blade" in the same manner. I've forgotten and I would have never guessed its meaning. Can a language really be impossible??? Yes, and the "easy" ones are usually NOT guessable. Or you have to see the combo with the right perspective. Rechere!

I don't think a language is impossible.  I'm going slow and at my own pace.  This is the 4th time I've restarted learning Japanese just so I can get a better picture of it each time.  I think it's important, when learning anything new but especially a language, to let go of ego.  Just remember that young Japanese children probably go through the same frustrations you have when they're learning, just as you did when you learned your own native language as a kid.  That's where I like try and put myself mentally as a kid again learning to speak.  It doesn't help me learn any faster but it helps me be less frustrated.

-Your friendly neigborhood badger!

#4 Posted by Anaguma94 over 1 year ago

Only registered users may post in the forum. You can register your free 楽しい Japanese account here.