Sign In

Recent Posts

Currently Online

Questions about use of しがな (shi-ga-na)

Forum Index » 英語の会話 [English Chat] »
4 Posts | 464 Views | 3 Followers

Questions about use of しがな (shi-ga-na)

Number of Posts

I am new to Japanese learning so this may seem basic but I haven't come across this yet in my study resources and stumbled upon the particle myself...

- can I use しがな (shi-ga-na) after any noun I want? e.g. とり かつ しがな (tori katsu shigana)

- is there a kanji for it?

- is there an alternative phrase used or easier phrase to use?

Louis 

#1 Posted by Louis Loves japan over 1 year ago
Number of Posts

Hey Louis, I am not an expert in japanese but i think i can help you a little bit with this question.

I`ve never heard しがな, it can be also cuz i am new to this language, but you can use something else to express desire.

For example, if you want to say "i want torikatsu" you can use ~ほしい for nouns -> とりカツがほしい

e.g: I want a car -> (くるま)がほしいです。 I want that book -> あの本(ほん)がほしいです

However, if you want to say "I want to eat torikatsu" you can use ~たい for verbs -> とりカツが食べたい(たべたい)

e.g: I want to drink water -> 水が飲みたい(のみたい)。I want to go to the bathroom -> トイレに行きたい (いきたい)

I think that way easier in my humble opinion, learning express desire using ~hoshii and ~tai

#2 Posted by Vinícius Aguiar (心) over 1 year ago
Number of Posts

Vinícius Aguiar (心) wrote today at 6:34 PM

Hey Louis, I am not an expert in japanese but i think i cant help you a little bit with this question.

I`ve never heard しがな, it can be also cuz i am new to this language, but you can use something else to express desire.

For example, if you want to say "i want torikatsu" you can use ~ほしい for nouns -> とりカツがほしい

However, if you want to say "I want to eat torikatsu" you can use ~たい for verbs -> とりカツが食べたい(たべたい)

e.g: I want to drink water -> 水が飲みたい(のみたい)。I want to go to the bathroom -> トイレに行きたい (いきたい)

I think that way easier in my humble opinion, learning express desire using ~hoshii and ~tai

Wow!  This is very helpful!  Thanks!

-Your friendly neigborhood badger!

#3 Posted by Anaguma94 over 1 year ago
Number of Posts

Vinícius Aguiar (心) wrote yesterday at 11:34 PM

Hey Louis, I am not an expert in japanese but i think i can help you a little bit with this question.

Thank you very much Vínicius, as a new learner it's so much more helpful having an actual person explain something to you! 

Louis 

#4 Posted by Louis Loves japan over 1 year ago

Only registered users may post in the forum. You can register your free 楽しい Japanese account here.