Sign In

Recent Posts

Currently Online

Abyss

Forum Index » 一緒に勉強しましょう! [Let's study together!] »
1 Post | 1,004 Views | 1 Follower

Abyss

Number of Posts

I struggled to find for 15 minutes in the three scanned old English-Japanese-English dictionaries that I have the romajis for ABYSS, DEEP CHASM with little success, I need HUGE as unabridged as possible ROMAJI dictionary quite in the form of my favorite INOUYE's Japanese-English Dictionary. Please name the hugest you know.

In one of them I found SAKEGUCHI, yet tanoshii didn't know it, even worse I can't find the kanjis for it which I need.
Simply, I need all popular and not popular at all romajis for 'abyss'.

Looking up tanoshii for 'abyss':

[ ] fuchi noun
ふち

Alternate Readings:

[ ] fuchi
ふち
[ ] fuchi
ふち
[ ] fuchi
ふち

深淵 [ · ] shinen noun, no adjective
しん · えん

深潭 [ · ] shintan noun
しん · たん

奈落の底 [ · ·   · ] narakunosoko noun
· らく · · そこ

Shintan, likey-likey!
Going to Japanese Wikipedia and looking up 'Mariana Trench' I saw that 'deep sea trench' is written as 海溝.

Also, by chance I found the beautiful cluster housing:

1. serendipity
  2. faith
  3. sphere
  4. crepuscular rays
  5. erosion
  6. abyss
  7. Deep blue

Love it, that's what I need a word both for serendipity and abyss.
They are given under the 収録曲, is that what these three kanjis mean?

In fact I need a word for 'looking far back in the abyss' or 'deep recollection/retrospection'.

Currently my choice is somewhat satellitish, namely 'KAIKO', INOUYE defines it as silkworm/retrospection as tanoshii does:

かいこ [ かいこ ] kaiko noun

English Meanings:

1. silkworm (Bombyx Mori)

懐古 [ · ] kaiko noun, no adjective
かい ·

English Meanings:

1. recalling the old days; nostalgia; reminiscences

回顧 [ · ] kaiko noun, suru verb, no adjective
かい ·

English Meanings:

1. recollection

I like so much this word, combining the silk's made (one pulp reaching 1km in length) with reinvoking.

For so many years, as long as I remember myself, the search for one thing unfolds so many related stuff, it still mesmerizes me.

I am a fool. Oh, yes! I am confused. ~ Other men are clear and bright, ~ But I alone am dim and weak. ~ Other men are sharp and clever, ~ But I alone am dull and stupid. ~ Oh, I drift like the waves of the sea, ~ Without direction, like the restless wind. ~ Everyone else is busy, ~ But I alone am aimless and depressed. ~ I am different. ~ I am nourished by the great mother.

#1 Posted by Sanmayce over 9 years ago

Only registered users may post in the forum. You can register your free 楽しい Japanese account here.