Sign In

Recent Posts

Currently Online

Politeness attachment お

Forum Index » 一緒に勉強しましょう! [Let's study together!] »
5 Posts | 644 Views | 1 Follower

Politeness attachment お

Number of Posts

Can someone please give me a quick overview about the use of the politeness attachment お?

I've seen this a few times during my lesson (as of now I mainly learn, formal japanese) and things like すし, なまえ and a few other nouns can have the attachment お before them. I do understand that's a little tweek so speak to make a thing sound more formal, but I would like to know why that's the case and how one should properly use it, as well as when you shouldn't do it.

e.g. while you should ask for someones name (which as of my knowledge is rather rude in japan) with the attachment  お, you shouldn't refere to your own name that way.

Individualism is overrated.

#1 Posted by Yog-Sothoth over 5 years ago
Number of Posts

Taken from a google search。

お名前 は 何 です か  "Onamae wa nan desu ka?" "As for your honorific name, what is it?"

Translation probably should be honourable or respectable  instead of honorific. If you say "my respectable name is ..." it is a bit bombastic, inflated.

I've seen:

おちゃを ください  "ocha wo kudasai" "can I get some tea?"

おさけ を ください    "osake wo kudasai" "can I get some alcohol?"

お元気 です か            "ogenki desu ka" "Is your health fine?"

So it seems a sign of respect to the other person

#2 Posted by onestep over 5 years ago
Number of Posts

元気 is a な-adjective while the other two are nouns. So that means I can add お to nouns and adjectives to make it more formal, as long as what I'm adding it to is the subject of the sentence?

#3 Posted by Yog-Sothoth over 5 years ago
Number of Posts

I think that if you are asking for something personal like a name or a mood,or ordering a drink in a bar, a meal in a restaurant, a good in a shop... you should use お to be polite. Just my opinion though

#4 Posted by onestep over 5 years ago
Number of Posts

Probably true, it's my impression from japanese (culture) that you should really aim at politeness unless you are dealing with close friends and even than social cues are not to be ignored.

Also I think your right, went through the two posts we made about asking for a mood/how things are いかがおすごしですか? & おげんきですか? and both use お. Still, I'm not entirely sure if it can be put infront of just any word, though that seems to be the case.

じゃあ getting hung up on single problem only hampers progress, so consider my question answered =)

ありがとうgざいます。

#5 Posted by Yog-Sothoth over 5 years ago

Only registered users may post in the forum. You can register your free 楽しい Japanese account here.