Recent Posts

Currently Online

Phrase -particle problems

Forum Index » 一緒に勉強しましょう! [Let's study together!] »
12 Posts | 9,361 Views | 4 Followers

Phrase -particle problems

Number of Posts

Hi there,

I was just wondering what a more casual way of asking "Do you want anything from (Location)". Something I would say to a friend.

I'm unsure whether I could use コンビ二に何も星ですか。I know changing the particle to が would change that sentence too "What do you want from Combini"...but then that sounds like I am assuming they definatley want something.

#1 Posted by hadtobedone over 10 years ago
Number of Posts

The sentence you wrote has 星 (hoshi) which means star. I think it means "Is something a star in the convenience store?"
What you wanted to write is 欲しい (hoshii)

I think a casual way to say it would be  コンビニで何も欲しくないの?wich means "don't you want anything at the convinience store?"
or コンビニで何も欲しいの?"do you want something at the convenience store?"

#2 Posted by Rodri over 10 years ago
Number of Posts

コンビニで何かほしいですか?

何も=nothing (used with negative verb)

何か=something

Above all things, love. heart

#3 Posted by lovegarden over 10 years ago
Number of Posts

...well, for me this would be the most casual way

コンビニの何か欲しい? konbini no nanika hoshii? OR

コンビニからの何か欲しい? konbini kara no nanika hoshii?

...literally, "do you want something from the convenience store?" which conveys the meaning of your "do you want something at the convenience store."

you can use the particle "no" with particles "to,""he," and "kara" to make the word the object of the preposition. In Japanese, you do not have to translate word by word, you just need to convey the meaning. Also, my translations are casual and no politeness so you can upgrade it to the above answer of love garden. ^^

#4 Posted by oscar7777 over 10 years ago
Number of Posts

i think you could also say コンビニから何か欲しいですか。

#5 Posted by lovegarden over 10 years ago
Number of Posts

or

コンビ二で何か買ってきて欲しいものありますか。

or

コンビ二から何かいりますか。(いる=必要)

#6 Posted by lovegarden over 10 years ago
Number of Posts

コンビ二で何か買ってきて欲しいものありますか。 for this one, it would probably be understood by the Japanese as "Do you have something you want me to buy at the convenience store?" since "~te form of the verb + hoshii" is used, this automatically points to the speaker who wants something to be done if there is no one else mention in the sentence. Also, the "mono" is already used as the relative pronoun so "nanika" would be unnecessary anymore.  To retain the meaning of "do you have something to you want me to buy at the convenience store?" it would be...

コンビ二で買って欲しいものありますか。 is simpler, and understandable.  Also, the "~te form of the verb + hoshii" points directly to someone if not asked, for example

I want LoveGarden to go to the convenience store.

ラブガーデンにコンビニに行ってほしい。

Ayano wanted Erika to read the magazine.

綾野はエリカに雑誌を読んで欲しかった。

...please note that ~te form of the verb + moraitai can also be used here. ^^ Hope this helps. ^^ Hoshii can be written with or without its kanji form.

#7 Posted by oscar7777 over 10 years ago
Number of Posts

ごめん、「何かほしいものはありますか。」という文も意味を通じるのに、「何か」っていうのも使わないと同じ意味になるね。でも、「何か」も「もの」も同じ文で両方使って大丈夫で、言えると私は思うんだ。

#8 Posted by lovegarden over 10 years ago
Number of Posts

...It might be understood but if a relative pronoun is used, it is no longer necessary to add "nanika" if you ask "mono" for your sentence, otherwise, it is ok. So, in this case, just "ほしいものはありますか。" is simple and easily understood. Both ways are ok, but in Japanese, the simpler the better. ^^ Hope this helps. ^^

#9 Posted by oscar7777 over 10 years ago
Number of Posts

I know grammatically it is not needed, but it happens a lot in spoken Japanese, so I was just going with what would often be naturally uttered.

#10 Posted by lovegarden over 10 years ago

Only registered users may post in the forum. You can register your free 楽しい Japanese account here.