Sign In

Recent Posts

Currently Online

verbs

Forum Index » 一緒に勉強しましょう! [Let's study together!] »
8 Posts | 18,568 Views | 3 Followers

verbs

Number of Posts

what is the difference between mimasu and mitemasu as found in the following contexts :

1) ......, sore kara, meeru o mimasu

2) ...... tomodachi kara kiteta meeru o mitemasu

also I do not understand what kiteta means in the latter sentence, i could find it in the word search here!

#1 Posted by crimson over 10 years ago
Number of Posts

The first means, "and then/after that/from there, I will look at the mail".

The second means, literally,  "I am looking at the mail that came from my friend".

"kiteta" is a contraction of "kiteita" which in this case just means it came from this person's friend.

The difference between "mimasu" and "mite(i)masu" is the first is the future tense, and the second is the progressive (-ing) tense. The second should be miteimasu with an "i", but in casual speech sometimes the "i" is omitted.

Above all things, love. heart

#2 Posted by lovegarden over 10 years ago
Number of Posts

Arigatougozaimasu

I appreciate your help yes

Lots of love,

Crimson

#3 Posted by crimson over 10 years ago
Number of Posts

Hi, can anyone tell me the conjugation details of the word yurarete in the following sentence ?

' ......., hanmokku in yurarete.....'

which means swinging in the hammock

Regards,

Crimson

#4 Posted by crimson over 10 years ago
Number of Posts

It is either potential form or passive form of yuru which means to swing. However, I may need more context to really know whats going on. It kind of sounds like this person is being swung by the hammock (passive form), which sounds odd translated.

#5 Posted by lovegarden over 10 years ago
Number of Posts

...or you can just make the word "mail" the object of the preposition by using "kara no" instead of the long "...kara kiteta" ...

...so the sentence will be:

"tomodachi kara no meeru wo mite imasu." which sounds more natural. I hope this helps too. ......also, the best way to say it in Japanese would be "tomodachi kara no meeru wo yonde imasu." ......jaaa ne ^^

#6 Posted by oscar7777 over 10 years ago
Number of Posts

I think the yurarete is the passive form of yuru (to swing).

And I agree 友達からのメールを読んでいます。is the best way to say it.

#7 Posted by lovegarden over 10 years ago
Number of Posts

...speaking of 揺られる, it is correct that it is the passive form of 揺る. But also, you can use 揺れる if your sentence has no object of its own. It can be translated as "can swing" and it can also be used as an intransitive verb. ^^

like for example, "touched by an angel" ...a seasoned learner might translate it as one of the following:

天使に触れられた。[tenshi ni furerareta]
天使に触られた。 [tenshi ni sawarareta]

...but, you can actually use 天使に触れた。[tenshi ni fureta] for the passive voice even if the verb 触れる is not in the passive form...there are many verbs out there that do this but it will have to be learned case to case basis. ^^

#8 Posted by oscar7777 over 10 years ago

Only registered users may post in the forum. You can register your free 楽しい Japanese account here.